Document ID: 102166Print this document
How to make corrections to Social Security Death Index
Symptoms (Problems)
  • I have found an error on the Social Security Death Index?
  • How do I go about getting the SSDI corrected?
  • I would like my family information removed from the SSDI
Answer (Resolution)

The Social Security Death Index is provided on as a resource to help people with their genealogical research. The information on the index is obtained from the Social Security Administration (SSA) and is required by law to be disclosed to the public through the Freedom of Information Act.


The government's site is National Technical Information Service at . This site provides information about several topics including Identity Theft.


Each month, the SSA send out updates to genealogical groups, which includes deleted or updated records. Upon receiving the updates, FamilySearch updates our online site with any changes or deletions made to the data.


FamilySearch is not responsible for the data on the index; we simply display the data. Any data that is removed from government records, is also removed from our site.


If you find an error in the index or if you have problems with a record, please call 1-800-772-1213, go online at , or visit your local Social Security branch.


When visiting your local Social Security office, be sure to take documentation with you. They will correct the main Death Master File (DMF), and the change will be distributed to those who maintain copies of the file with the next set of updates. They will also give you a verification document of SSA's current records, which you can use as proof of the error.


Also see document 101241 Concerns about identity theft from use of the Social Security Death Index

Did this document help you to solve your problem?