Registration on FamilySearch websites is free and easy to do, and it only needs to be done once. Once registered, you receive an account that works across all FamilySearch sites. If you had an old account for familysearch.org prior to December 2010, you need to reregister for a FamilySearch Account or LDS Account to gain full access to the updated websites.
Once you have activated your account, sign in each time you visit familysearch.org to benefit from all the features available to registered users.
You can register for a FamilySearch Account or an LDS Account by following these steps:
- From the home page of FamilySearch found at https://familysearch.org, click Sign in (upper right corner of the page).
- Click the Create an Account button.
- Complete each field on the Tell Us a Little About Yourself page. To successfully register for a FamilySearch Account, you must provide a valid email address where you can receive an email that activates your account.
Note: If you are a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, click Yes in that field, and then enter your 11 character Membership Record Number.
- Click Create an Account.
- A verification email will be sent to the e-mail address entered on the form. Open the email, and follow the instructions to activate your new account. Your account must be activated within 48 hours, or the registration is voided, and you must start the process over.
Note about Registration
- User names cannot contain a space or special characters; use only letters and numbers.
- Passwords are required to be at least 8 characters but no more than 128 characters, with at least one letter and one number.
- There are minimum age requirements to register for an account. See Article 110768 for more information.
- It is recommended that users not share an email address. See Article 105876 for more information.