Document ID: 104899Print this document
Incorrect information in a Social Security Death Index record
Symptoms (Problems)
  • Information in a Social Security Death Index record is incorrect.

  • There are misspellings of a name or an incorrect date in the SSDI.

Answer (Resolution)

If you find an error in the Social Security Death Index, you should go to your local Social Security office about your concern. Be sure to take documentation with you. They can do what is necessary to correct the main Death Master File (DMF), and the change will be distributed to those who maintain copies of the file with the next set of updates. They can also give you a verification document of SSA's current records, which you can use as proof of the error.

Did this document help you to solve your problem?